Tuesday, August 4, 2015

July Recap: Weight Watchers Lifetime Goal, Longest Run Ever, and J&A Training Team

I am going to break this post down by topic.  I will just put it this way: Marathon training, kids, family, life, blah, blah, blah.

FAMILY
July was a crazy month for the family.  Tim is always busy between baseball, being a teenager and stuff.  Then there is the little chunky butt, Avery.  She keeps us busy 24-7.   I love every second of it but she is definitely my child.  As I learned from my Uncle Dan a couple weekends ago, my brother and I made him never want to have kids.  LOL.  We had a great July.  We got to go down to South Carolina and visit my grandparents, aunt and uncle.  My grandpa has had some major health problems in the past few years but he looked great.  I am pretty fortunate to have my kids be able to visit their great-grandparents.  It was great catching up with my family.  My Aunt Nancy and Uncle Dan are actually the family who came up and ran the Crawlin Crab with me for my first half marathon.  My Aunt Nancy also ran my first long run with me last summer.  It was that day that I knew I could actually run a half marathon.  So lucky to have such a great family to visit.



 Lori and I have been enjoying the summer.  The garden is in full effect, the CSA is giving us amazing foods and we are just enjoying the busy life of a 15 month old.  We don't get to do a lot of stuff we usually do in the summer but it's okay.  In a few years, it will be easier to take Avery to the beach, water park, and pool.  She is a ball of fun and we enjoy it.

J&A TRAINING TEAM AND RUNNING
If I hadn't decided to take a day off last week I would of broke my record for most mileage in a month.  I decided not to because I was on an antibiotic and wasn't feeling well.  I am glad I didn't because I felt great for my longest run ever on Saturday when I had 18 miles.  Running has been going great.  Except a few bumps and bruises and little tweeks here and there, I have been truckin'.  Being sore and hurting is part of the deal when you are training.  I will admit, full marathon training is a lot of work when you are a full time parent and work.  But I am pretty fortunate I have an amazing wife.

#deezrunninghoez, my mini group of running friends who I have been training with have been keeping me on top of my game.  It is great to have running friends to enjoy the tough and fun days of running.

The J&A Fall Training Team kicked off this past Sunday.  It was an amazing event with amazing people.  J&A did an amazing job of hosting us.  This will be my second team to pace for.  I can't even describe how awesome it is to be a team leader and watch people accomplish their goals.  This fall we have over 100 people including Lori.  The staff at J&A and the team do an amazing job keeping the energy of races going during training.  I am lucky to be part of it.


WEIGHT WATCHERS
I officially became a lifetime member on Saturday at Weight Watchers.  What this means is that I have hit my goal weight and have maintained it for six weeks.  I had to start my 18 mile run at 5:45 in the morning to make the meeting.  But it was worth it.  Without Elyse and the Weight Watchers team at the Red Mill Commons store, I would not be where I am today.  I can't believe in September 2013 I started this journey and have lost 130 lbs.  I am healthier, skinnier, and stronger than I have ever been.  Weight Watchers does work.  But you have to do it to make it work.  I have combined a healthier eating lifestyle and exercise daily.  I have spent two years getting to this point and now I am scared of having to maintain.  I don't know how I will but I will keep working on it.  I am glad I have lost all this weight and I am able to be active with my kids and wife.  We enjoy our new life so much better.  It all starts with your first goal.  Mine was five pounds.  If I can do it, you can too.  Our instructor at Weight Watchers, Elyse, pulled me upfront at the meeting.  People asked me all kinds of questions and I was a little nervous.  It's funny because in the past year, I have been interviewed in Runner's World, will be in a new book by Runner's World next year, and I still get nervous giving other people advice.  But sometimes I still think I am that fat kid and I think people can relate to that.  
My new goal is to maintain my healthy lifestyle and stay at my goal weight.  I know I can lose more weight if it happens but I am happy where I am at.



Overall, life is amazing.  I am so lucky to have all the things I have today.  Take a deep breathe and look around.  Life is pretty grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment