Monday, September 7, 2015

August and End of Summer Recap

I couldn't type up a post while on vacation.  Actually, I just didn't want to.  I enjoyed my vacation.  It was much needed since we haven't really had a true vacation since last July.  But August came and went fast and so did vacation.  Anyways, here it is.

Training:

Running has never been better.  Even though I have had a few bumps and bruises here and there from training, my body has held up nicely.  Better than expected.  Following a training plan and doing what is says has helped.  Since being part of two J&A training teams, I have learned a few things along the way.  The first thing I learned is follow the plan (Am I right Chuck?).  Don't over do it even though you know you can.  Follow the plan, follow the pace and follow the schedule.  The other thing is you don't need to make up a run.  It also helps running with great people too.  Having a great crew of friends to run your long run with is amazing.  The other thing I have learned is speed work helps.  So do it.  I proved this yesterday when after running 11 miles I was able to run two miles under 7:30 average but I will talk more about that later.  August I hit the most mileage I have ever hit, 177 miles.  I also did my first 20 miler with support from the wife on vacation.  I killed it with a 8:45 pace.



The Fall J&A Training Team also started 5 weeks ago and it has been awesome as usual.  I have a great group of people to train as their pacer.  It is very enjoyable to just relax and help other people pace.  When you are concentrating so much on your own training you sometimes forget to just enjoy the moments.  It's exciting to be able to watch other people have an amazing run.  My wife signed up this fall and she is enjoying the camaraderie and team atmosphere.  I have a huge group of probably over 25 people.


Vacation

What a wonderful week.  We stayed at our timeshare in Myrtle Beach at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation and had both our moms, my niece and a friend of Tim's with us.  We enjoyed every second of it.  We just stayed at the resort and enjoyed the lazy river, pools, and everything else it has to offer.  It is amazing to enjoy a vacation with the people you love.  I love watching Avery grow each and everyday.  It is also amazing watching her try new things.  Overall, another amazing vacation.




That's all for now.  40 days until the Detroit Free Press Marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment