Monday, February 2, 2015

Shamrock Training 2015

This year I embarked on a big thing.  Last year I ran my first half marathon.  This year I was invited to pace some runners for the Shamrock weekend which includes the half, full and 8k.  I was invited to do the 12+ minute group.  It is slower than my pace right now but I am happy I decided to do it.  It is a lot of fun watching these people hit their goals each and every week.  Basically every run is their longest run ever.  My group calls themselves #teamawesome.   Which that they are.  This past Saturday I missed the Striders event to run 9 with them because of coaching basketball.  But my first priority is coaching my stepson's basketball team.  I was really bummed I missed my group.  They are so inspiring.  It's crazy to think that I am training three people who have never run farther than a 10k.  Every week is a new week for them.  It's exciting.  It's motivating.  I was excited to hear how they all did.  

Since I couldn't do my long run on Saturday, I ran my long run on Sunday.  I ran 11.  I can't believe I am saying this but it was easy.  It is crazy to think about how in shape you can be.  I sometimes wish I was doing the full for Shamrock but at the same time I am glad I am not because I really do want my first full to the be the Detroit Free Press Marathon.  It is very hard when you have the running bug to control yourself from doing more.  One of my fellow runners I know has this problem.  You can't stop it.  Your mind and body wants more when you compete.  This is what runners do.  This is how I get my drug of competition.  I can't play football or lacrosse anymore.  Every race is my big game.

My 11 miles went great.  I enjoyed getting back on the oceanfront.  I didn't enjoy the 32 degree temps and wind.  But the sun was out.  I am enjoying running more than I have before.  It is mostly from the other runners I know.  

#shamrockon15

No comments:

Post a Comment