Thursday, June 11, 2015

Summer Hoppy Hour Runs @jandahoppyhours

I remember graduating from college and living in Royal Oak, Michigan and thinking how awesome it was to live in a bike-able and walk-able city.  I bought myself a nice Giant urban bike to use.  I rarely did use it unless I was delivering for Jimmy Johns, which I made a bunch of money not having to deal with parking and being quicker than the drivers.  But I rarely used my bike like I truly wanted to.  I think I used it once to go downtown to go for dinner.  I also talked a lot about walking and enjoying the community.  That I never did.

Scroll forward ten years.......

And here I am 130 pounds lighter, ten years older, and I am the healthiest I have ever been.  I run 5 times a week and I walk regularly on a daily basis.  Lori and I go every Sunday and run together than get coffee at our favorite joint, #badasscoffee.

Last night, J&A racing had their first #jandahoppyhour run at Hot Tuna.  There were over 100 runners who met up, went for a run together and had some hops and food.  Lori asked me if I was okay with her joining me.  I said, Hell yeah.  Why not?  When I started to lose weight, I wanted our family to be healthier.  I wanted us to do things we didn't want to do before.  I love that my wife wants to join me for a run and bring Avery.  Actually, the best purchase I ever made was the jogging stroller.  Avery loves it.  Lori, when she is home, it gives her time to clean or cook while I take her.  It is also bonding time and it is also a positive image to show our daughter what it is like to be healthy.  It reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would take my brother and I on the Big Boy fun runs in Huntington Woods (If the Motor City Striders brought this race series back, I would travel to do it).

Back to last night.  It was a blast.  I never thought becoming an ambassador for #runningetc would take me to the places I have gone.  I never thought I would be so active.  It's great.  My wife loves it, I love it and Avery loves it.  You don't really understand how awesome a community is until you are part of it.  And the running community in Hampton Roads is top notch.  From our local running store, local race company and local running groups like the Tidewater Striders and Running Turtles, is just fantastic.  I mean there were 100 people out there.  That's awesome.  I mean 100 people being active at their pace.  There were kids, spouses, and people from all ages.

Last night, I also found a bike trailer for Avery so we can pull her on bike rides once we pick up our bikes.  I know, I know, where is this going.  Well, I started this post out talking about my old bike.  When I first moved into Lori's house (now our house), I sold my Giant.  I was like there is no way I would use it on these rural roads (this was before I lost weight).  Now, I run on these roads and Lori and I decided to buy each other bikes with our tax returns.  I am picking them up tomorrow finally.  But how great it is that when you are healthier, you love doing more things.  That trailer is going to be awesome.  I can't wait to take the family for a bike ride around Creeds or the oceanfront for ice cream or on vacation.  I never did that as a kid but I am excited that Lori and Tim want to.

So, this summer's theme is #hoppyhour.  Last night was the epitome of what I want my summer to be, family oriented, healthy, and active.  Summer is just starting but I am so excited to enjoy it with my family friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment